My family's all time favourite fish dish, it is just as much refined as it is warming and comforting. You can play around with the fish you choose - but for me the buttery soft cod is by far my favourite choice.
There are a few miso cod recipes out there, but what I like about this adaptation is that the broth sauce accumulates at the bottom of the bowl and creates a soup that you can definitely slurp up at the end. It is divine!
Makes 4 serves
For the sauce
- 2 cup MFM Botanical Broth
- 2 tbsp unpasteurised miso (you can choose which one but I like red miso for its robust flavour)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (try and use out a good brand from a Japanese or Chinese specialty grocery store)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp finely grated garlic and ginger
- Squeeze two limes
Combine all ingredients into a jar with a tight lid. Give it a really good shake until everything is combines.
For the rice
Heat 2 cups MFM Botanical Broth (MFM Beef & Chicken Broth also works so well as the flavours of the star anise and cinnamon import beautifully on this dish!) with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Once it is boiling add 2 cups pre-washed Basmati Rice then turn the heat down to a low simmer, cover with the lid and cook for 15 minutes.
For the Cod
- 1kg Cod fillets - 4 fillets - bones removed but skin on
- 1 bunch coriander chopped finely, including the stems, but reserving some leaves in full leaf
- Black and white sesame seeds to garnish
5 minutes after you have started the rice, pour the above made sauce into heavy based casserole dish (large enough to accomodate all the fish so they fit nice and snug!) Then slide the fish fillets in, skin faced up and bring the whole lot to a very gentle simmer, cover the lid and steam for 5 minutes. Be careful not to bring it t a boil or any higher than a gentle simmer or your fish will loose its tenderness and fall apart. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and continue cooking at the same temperature with the lid off for a further 5 minutes.
Once it is cooked. Check your rice, fluffing it with a fork once it is done. Then transfer ice evenly amongst 4 bowls. Place a cod fillet on each bowl and then gently divide the sauce amongst the four bowls and top each with the coriander and sesame seeds.
Enjoy and don't forget to slurp the broth sauce at the end. It would be rude not to!